Dorchester in the media
If you know anything missing off the list below, please let us know, as would love to make this a more exhaustive list of media related to the village.
- Union of the Thames and Isis (‘Dorchester Mead, Oxfordshire’) exhibited 1808 Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775-1851
- George Vicat Cole (1833-93) produced a fine painting of the ‘Great Meadow’, looking towards Day’s Lock in 1891
- a two-volume book, The Thames, which was produced by the engraver W. B. Cooke on the basis of sketches by Samuel Owen in 1811
- Howards End (Village scenes)
- “Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog” by Jerome K Jerome
- “Ballad of Midsomer County” by Lucie Jones and Seth Lakeman
Whilst not directly about the village, it was from an episode which featured several landmarks in the village
- Κυκνειον Ασμα – Cygnea Cantio (‘Song of the Swan’)
- Connubio Tamae et Isis (‘The Marriage of the Thame and the Isis’)
- Midsomer murders [walk map]
- Things that go bump in the night (Post Office used as Fletchers Cross’ Post Office) ITV Season 8 Episode 1
Undertaker Patrick Pennyman is found dead with his wrists slashed and suspicion turns towards a spiritualist church.
- The house in the woods ITV Season 9 Episode 1
A secluded old dark house, believed haunted by the residents of Midsomer Newton, becomes the scene of a double murder when a house-hunting yuppie couple is found garroted.
- Dance with the dead (Post Office used as Morton Fendle) ITV Season 10 Episode 1
A young man’s murder touches off a search for his girlfriend and partner in ballroom dancing classes.
- Small mercies ITV Season 12 Episode 5
The body of a local troublemaker and lady’s man is found dead in the model village which is the chief tourist attraction of Little Worthy.
- Masterclass (the abbey, The Fleur de Lys used as The Devington Arms) ITV Season 13 Episode 5
During a master class for talented young musicians held by famous pianist Sir Michael Fielding, prodigy Zoe Stock is shocked to witness a woman drowning in the river. But when police arrive there is no sign of the woman or her child. Barnaby is struck by similarities to another mysterious case 20 years ago.
- The ballad of Midsomer County ITV Season 17 Episode 3
Festival organizer Toby Winning is found dead on the morning of the Lower Crosby Folk Festival, shortly after announcing plans to move the festival nearer to London.
- Taken at the flood (George Hotel used as ‘The Stag Inn’) ITV
A young widow is left in sole possession of her late husband’s fortune, and her brother refuses to share it with her in-laws – so they enlist Poirot to try to prove that the widow’s missing first husband might not be dead after all.
- Miss Marple
- A murder is announced (The Abbey used as Chipping Cleghorn parish church) BBC
- Endless night (Dorchester Abbey Museum, doubles up as the local police station) ITV
- Time Team
- The Pilot – The pilot episode of the British programme Time Team has never been aired. It was produced in 1992, and copies of the pilot have since been lost. Only one clip of the pilot is known to exist.