We have seen an increase in the theft of lead from roofs, particulary schools and churches.
Please consider the following if you have a lead roof:
- Security marking – marking the lead will make the crime less attractive and make it harder for the offenders to sell on. If you use a DNA marking solution i.e. SmartWater it can be traced back to the owner if recovered.
- Keep gates locked and restrict vehicle access.
- Maximise surveillance levels i.e. cutting back tall trees.
- Encourage members of the local community to keep an eye on the building and report anything suspicious.
- Remove things that might help thieves get access to the roof, like water butts, bins and tall trees.
- Conduct regular checks of the roof so the theft is detected at the earliest possible time.
- Apply anti-climb paint to drain pipes and guttering.
- Install CCTV.
If you have any information relating to these crimes please call us on 101.
Posted on July 23, 2017 in Thames Valley Alert